Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Thing #12 - Exploring Google

Google scholar was the first tool I explored. This tool allowed me to search for peer-reviewed scholarly articles with ease. I could simply type in a subject of interest to me and any research studies that had been performed and written about in a professional journal were available to me. Google even noticed that I was an Austin Peay student so that any journal article available through APSU's library were now available to me online through a link next to the article. Another unique feature was that you could cite articles in many different formats just by clicking cite underneath the article header. I could implement this tool in my class whenever my students are writing a research paper for me or whenever I need to freshen up my own content knowledge in the sciences.

The other tool I investigated was the alert system. This tool sends an alert to your email whenever a feed is made regarding your subject of interest. I made an alert to send any important information regarding "Cystic Fibrosis Kalydeco" to my email as it happens. This will allow me to stay on top of this information immediately as it becomes available. I thought this was a very useful tool for the classroom because I could have my students set up an alert system for any feeds that pop up on my classroom blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment