Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Thing #10 - RSS Feeds

I really like the convenience of RSS readers. It was very easy to create my Feedly account and subscribe to various blogs and sites. I subscribed to things I was interested in for the most part, such as the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Sports Illustrated, Science journal, and CNN. I found it much easier just to get on my Feedly account and check out all the new feeds from my sites rather than visit each one individually.

I can use this technology in my class by having my students subscribe to my podcasts. In this way, they can review a topic we discussed in class right at home. This would be especially helpful for students who miss class time. Another way to use RSS would be to have my students blog their homework to me. I can use an RSS interface to check if they have completed their work and even give them immediate feedback on their progress. Personally, I can use RSS to keep on top of news that's relevant to me. RSS is a simple way to save a few minutes in my hectic day.

Teachers can also use RSS as a method for professional development. Teachers can follow different feeds through an RSS platform and discuss what they have found with their colleagues. RSS helps fuel collaboration which fosters an environment for effective teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment