Sunday, February 23, 2014

Thing #3 - Using Blogs in My Classroom

Blogging is a great tool for communicating with my students as well as parents and colleagues.  By creating a classroom blog I can always keep students up to date on assignments, classroom updates, and any reading material I find of interest to them.  I could post questions daily about the current topic in class that students can comment on and, consequently, comment on each other's work as well.  Keeping a classroom blog will also help students who may have been absent find out what homework they may have.  Another way to use blogging in my class would be to have the students create a digital portfolio, posting their best work for the parents and peers to view and comment on.  This feedback is a great opportunity for students to develop. A student portfolio would provide a record the student could look back on for the entire year.

As many other teaching professionals have done, I can also create a blog for professional development purposes.  I can post about books I've read, lessons I've taught, and classroom management practices I've used among many other things.  Additionally, I can post ideas that I have for addressing common core principles and share these with my team at school.  Other teachers can post on my blog to foster an atmosphere of teacher collaboration.


A more creative way to use blogging would be to share a blog with students, peers, and colleagues as a platform for various interest groups related to science.  Blogging about relevant science issues, debates, and findings would not only help inform my students and the public on what's actually going on in the scientific community but it would help me to, per se, stay on top of my game.  Additionally, if some of my students are very passionate about a particular topic of interest I could allow them to edit and add posts to a blog reflecting their enthusiasm for the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment